The Presbyterian Church of Nigeria was founded by the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland missionaries led by the Rev. Hope Masterson Waddell on the invitation of King Eyo Honesty II and King Eyamba V.
The missionaries arrived in Calabar and founded the first Presbyterian church at Creek Town in 1846. From Calabar, the church began to grow. In 1858 the Presbytery of Biafra was formed. The Synod of Biafra formed in 1921.
The church developed rapidly when the Presbyterian Church of Biafra was established, with the Synod as the highest court. The church becomes independent. The Presbyterian Church of Biafra became the Presbyterian Church in eastern Nigeria in 1952. On 16 June 1960, the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria was born. In 1987 the General Assembly was constituted with two Synods.
The Presbyterian Church in Nigeria began to establish a University in 1993, which was later named Hope Waddell University. Though the operational license has been secured, The University located in Okagwe Ohafia in Abia State is yet to take off. Its motto is “Excellence, Integrity, and Service”.
The church also runs two degree-awarding theological institutions, the Hugh Goldie Lay Theological Training Institution Arochukwu in Abia State founded in 1918, and the Essien Ukpabio Presbyterian Theological College, Itu Akwa Ibom State founded in 1994 (an affiliate of the University of Calabar).
The church secretariat is in Ogbor Hill in Abia State in Southeast Nigeria. While the treasury and prelate’s office is in Hope Waddell Training Institution Calabar Cross River State in Southern Nigeria
To carry the gospel to all parts of Nigeria and
beyond through evangelism, discipleship,
service delivery and promotion of social
To be a faithful witness to the great
commission and the Lordship of Jesus Christ
under the guidance of the Holy Spirit